Monday 19 June 2017

05 November 2010

Today I finally left Jaco and the prison-hostel Nathon’s. It’s funny because online reviews from a few years back make this place out to be a hip swinging place. How time changes things. I stayed so long because of all the rain and flooding. Thirty kilometers down the road the towns of Parrita and Quepos are flooded. Today was the first morning I awoke without there being a heavy rain so I took my chances and escaped. No more being stuck in a dark musty dorm needing the permission of the owner to go out at night . No more wandering around the thin boring strip known as Jaco.


The town of Parrita is still flooded. People stood on the side of the highway staring at their immersed houses. Sections of the road were waterfalls but thankfully not too deep. Water from the field cascading over the road towards the ocean. A metal bridge was washed out. A section of the road had crumbled away and a tractor was clearing away rocks from a mudslide. I bypassed Quepos and headed towards Dominical. I wanted to get as far south as I could. But just outside Dominical the road was closed because a tree huge tree had fallen in it. So I headed back to Dominical in the rain, over mud, around toppled trees, slowly around curves, and down the rocky unpaved slope to Dominical’s main strip. I drove down to the beach away from the center and found a cheap hostel. It is still raining buckets. There is no end in sight. I’m sure the road will be clear by tomorrow so I will try again then.




No comments:

Post a Comment