Saturday 26 August 2017

Music I Listened to on The Trip

Besides obtaining maps and funds I also bought an iPod and stocked it with with a lot of music.  My car radio stopped working a few months before I even began the journey, in June I think, and I never repaired it so I listen to music through headphones the whole time. Dangerous I know but thats how I did it. 


Below are a few of the many albums I listened to and places I remember listening to them. Music makes driving memorable. I will never forget the rush I had the first time I listened to Ponytails’s album Ice Cream as I was driving through the lush green Andes in Colombia. Or the time I listened to The Dodos’ Visiter driving at night through the Pampas towards Buenos Aires. Such a good album I listened to it twice before switching over to William Shatner’s Has Been. But most of all I cannot forget listening to the haunting eastern melodies of Devotchka just as a semi plowed into my car and almost killed me.

Curt Daniel - History of Calvinism

Joel Beeke - 1 John series and various

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell, Show Your Bones, It’s Blitz! (Buenos Aires, listened to Gold Lion several times driving through Buenos Aires)

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)  (Guatemala after passing through immigration)

Ponytail - Ice Cream (driving through Andes in Colombia)

Menonmena - Mines (Nazca, Peru and other places)

Deltron 3030 - Delton 3030 (Argentina driving in the pampas South)

Chet Atkins - Guitar Legend, The RCA Years

GZA - Liquid Swords

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing, Preemptive Strike (Chile)

Conor Oberst - Conor Oberst (Argentina)

Deftones - Diamond Eyes (Argentina driving to Cueva de los manos and other places)

Decembrists - Discography (Argentina last day of driving South)

Bright Eyes - Discography (Argentina driving in Pampas)

Air - Moon Safari (Chile leaving the stars at night)

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible, Funeral (Argentina heading North from Bariloche)

Broken Bells - Broken Bells

Mega Man Soundtrack (Peru)

Final Fantasy VII Soundtrack (Peru, Antarctica)

The Doors - The Doors (Panama)

The Dodos - Visiter (Argentina twice on the way to Buenos Aires)

The Cure - Disintegration

Miles Davis - The Complete Birth of the Cool (Argentina)

Echo and the Bunnymen - Echo and the Bunnymen

Fruit Bats - Spelled in Bones

Pearl Jam - Rearviewmirror (Colombia)

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F#A#∞ (Chile)

The Stranglers - Golden Brown (only the song, on the ferry back from Tierra del Fugeo)

Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head, Viva la Vida (Colombia)

Sufjan Stevens - Age of Adz (Panama)

Glenn Yarbrough - Honey and Wine, Time to Move On (Chile)

The Hobbit Soundtrack

The Return of the King Soundtrack

Jenny Lewis - Acid Tongue (Panama in Colon)

mewithoutyou - [A--> B] Life (Peru leaving Cusco)

My Morning Jacket - Z

Pixies - Surfer Rosa, Doolittle 

Owen - No Good For No One Now (Peru)

Novos Baianos - Acabou Chorare (Panama, many other places)

Seiji Honda - Final Fantasy VII Piano Collection (Antarctica)

Nas - Illmatic (Colombia in the mountains)

Sister Suvi - Now I am Champion (Chile at ferry crossing to Tierra del Fuego)

Spoon - Gimmie Fiction, Ga Ga Ga, Transference

Tune-yards - Bird Brains

The Wipers - Is This Real? (Argentina)

Nina Simone - The Best of Nina Simone (Chile driving to Torres del Paine)

Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump (Chile driving to Torres del Paine)

The Thermals - More Parts per Million, Fuckin A, The Body, the Blood, the Machine (Costa Rica)

Yes - Fragile (Peru driving away from Puno and Lake Titicaca)

William Shatner - Has Been, The Transformed Man (Argentina)

Leonard Nimoy & William Shatner - Spaced Out - The Very best Of.. (Argentina)

Leonard Nimoy - Leonard Nimoy Presents Mr. Spock's Music From Outer Space (Argentina driving to Bariloche)

Devotchka - A Mad and Faithful Telling (Argentina, listening to as I wrecked. Still have never finished listening to this album.)

These are only the albums I remember listening to.  I am sure there are others but they escape me at the moment.  It was a long trip and most of it was taken up with the History of Calvinism series but I did listen to a lot of music.  I also attempted to learn Spanish through an audio course but I got tired of it quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment