Tuesday 22 August 2017

17 January 2011

Last night I kept hearing applause so I went to search out the source. There was a large group gathered around two guys lip-synching a drama as a man and a woman. Later more of them were dancing a la Michael Jackson. One was even dressed like Michael circa smooth criminal.  They danced to a medley of MJ songs and did some of the dances in the videos.

Today has truly been disappointing. I walked all the way to the Venezuelan embassy only to learn that despite what the USA state department website says, I don’t need a visa to enter Venezuela. I did not understand what the lady was telling me at first so I sat back down watching other people do paperwork. Then it dawned on me that I probably needed to give her copies of my documents so I asked and understood nothing in response. Finally I was told in English by another worker that I did not need a visa. Thank you state department website for the misinformation.


On the way to the Brazilian embassy I witnessed a horrible car accident. Two cars. One veered off the other over the curb and across oncoming traffic lanes of traffic which were empty and into a large tree with exposed roots.  All I heard was the squeal of tires and the thump as the car ran over the roots. I don’t think anyone was hurt because I saw everyone exit their cars and walk around.  A jogger also stopped to help out.

At the Brazilian embassy I was told I needed to make an appointment but the next available date is January 26th which is too far off. I was told I might be able to get one at the border at Foz do IguaƧu. 

I headed over to Clasica y Moderna, a highly recommended cafe/bookstore which I had attempted to drink at twice yesterday. It’s not a cafe. It’s a high priced fancy restaurant with a tiny bookstore in the back. So once again I can drink a coffee here but this is no place to hang out or read.


After that I walked probably two miles to the Che Guevara museum.  It’s not really a museum.  It’s a shop that houses some of the artifacts from the the museum after it closed down. There was a sign posted on the shut metal garage door: “Cerrado por vacciones”. What a let down. I took the subway back towards the hotel. With its wood paneling interior and tiny ceiling lamps and open windows it was pretty quaint. Tomorrow I will take the subway to the U.S.embassy. My feet are tired from walking all day but I got to see a large swath of downtown and Palermo.

Che Guevera museum

No comments:

Post a Comment