Friday 30 June 2017

19 November 2010

Yesterday, if I had known that the number of the container and the seal was on my bill, I would’ve taken the train because I would’ve left as soon as the cars were loaded. Waiting around was such a pain but I jammed with Joelson a bit, he on his bongos, me on my guitar. It was too loud to hear ourselves though. We both took the express bus back to Panama City. Only $2.50. On the way out of the port we were detained for about five minutes because we walked up to the front rather than use the bus they have to transport employees. Seems like they just didn’t want us to leave. The Taking of Pelham 123 was shown on the bus. I took a taxi back to Casa Rica. Joelson said he was going to try and take a boat from San Blas to Colombia.

This morning I mailed my postcards and then headed to the airport. But there were no flights left. I spent $380 on a ticket for tomorrow afternoon. They wanted me to buy a roundtrip ticket for proof of onward travel but I explained the situation with my car and they okayed my purchase of a one way ticket. After that I took another twenty dollar cab ride back to Casa Rica only this cabbie was sick and did not take the expressway because I didn’t want to pay for the tolls.  The first cab did not ask me for any toll money.

Taxi to the airport
Casa Rica looks like an apartment building but its a hostel. It used to be called Zuly’s and is located at the end of an alleyway which makes it difficult to find. Everyone I’ve met has said it took them forever to find this place. Apparently the previous owner was a tyrant but now it’s owned by a friendly Venezuelan. And it’s located near a lot of places (clubs, restaurants) unlike some of the other hostels.  It’s only a few blocks away from Calle Uruguay which is a hot spot.

This business is also near the hostel
I spoke with Evelyn from Barwil and told her the problems we encountered. She assured me the container will ship tomorrow and arrive by Monday. Colón may have a high crime rate but they have bible verses at every intersection on Central Ave.

No comments:

Post a Comment